With the latest installment of Scream heading into theaters on January 14th, I wanted to go back and revisit the franchise. I always love the original and four, but I never remember how I feel about the middle two. So I was excited to revisit the entire franchise to get some thoughts on the new film.
So today, I kick off my series with 30 Thoughts I Had While Watching Scream.
- The opening of this movie is perfect.
- The introduction to the voice of Ghostface to understand who he is and following it up with the ruthless introduction to him the person. I just loved it.
- Skeet Ulrich never gets the credit he deserves
- Seeing Deputy Dewey earlier on is so crazy knowing who he becomes
- Matthew Lillard was such a fantastic piece of casting. Another introduction is done so well with subtle hints that you realize later.
- The way everyone handles Sidney early on because of her mom is great writing.
- The first conversation between Sidney and Ghostface is brilliant.
- Sidney’s expose of horror movies breaking down the stupid old-school way of horror is terrific.
- I loved Sidney defending herself and overtaking him to stay alive. It showed how both Ghostface isn’t ridiculously overpowerful like Jason/Michael.
- Gail Weathers with a fat joke, again, loved this writing showing she is a bitch.
- Sidney punching Gail is sooooooo good.
- The phone call to establish Billy isn’t the killer, again the writing
- Kids in school with the mask are so terrible.
- The Fonz’s brief cameo is a hell of a lot of fun.
- Heck of a baseball slide by Sidney
- The janitor dressed as Freddy still gets me every time.
- Video stores? Remember those?
- Randy’s “everyone’s a suspect” line is one of the best lines ever.
- Party time, what can go wrong?
- I love the Jamie Lee Curtis line drop.
- Neve Campbell was perfect as Sidney, in the third act delivering that emotional line in the bed with Skeet was perfect.
- Jamie Kennedy breaks down the rules of successfully surviving a horror movie, chefs kiss.
- Billy finally got him some from Sidney right before he planned to wreck her life.
- The entire last twenty minutes of this movie is literally perfect.
- The look on Sidney’s face when Billy reveals it was him, MY GOD, what a scene.
- Watch a few movies, take a few notes.
- Matthew Lillard and Skeet Ulrich’s line delivery is honestly some of the best in any horror film here. I love these two.
- When Billy hit Stew with the phone, I legit laughed out loud so hard.
- Neve is such a badass. Honestly, she is up there with Jamie Lee Curtis as the queen of horror.
- It’s crazy to me that this still holds up as well as it does after all these years. I love everything about this. Each actor brings something to the table, the writing is incredible and it’s just a knockout from start to finish.
The janitor is Wes craven. Funny riff with him wearing his other franchise horror film killer’s outfit.