Reference – DGA (Directors Guild Awards) – BFCA (Broadcast Film Critics Association) – CEH (Cinema Eye Honors Awards) – IDA (International Documentary Association) – PGA (Producers Guild Awards)
- 1 – My Octopus Teacher (Netflix) – BAFTA, DGA, PGA Pippa Ehrlich, James Reed and Craig Foster
- 2 – Time (Amazon Studios) – BFCA, CEH, IDA, PGA Garrett Bradley, Lauren Domino and Kellen Quinn
- 3 – Collective (Magnolia Selects) – BAFTA, CEH, IDA Alexander Nanau and Bianca Oana
- 4 – Crip Camp (Netflix) – BFCA, IDA Nicole Newnham, Jim LeBrecht and Sara Bolder
- 5 – The Mole Agent (Gravitas Ventures) Maite Alberdi and Marcela Santibáñez
*Wins in bold.
Documentary is always a nuts category every year. Only two of the five films nominated actually had the odds to be nominated, and the other three (‘My Octopus Teacher’, ‘Crip Camp’ and ‘The Mole Agent’) were outside shots, and now one of them is being predicted to win!
‘My Octopus Teacher’s’ sudden sweep is one of the most fascinating things I’ve seen this awards season. No one had their focus on it at all really, but then it won PGA, and the sweep started there. It won BAFTA for Best Documentary with competition from their own David Attenborough and European film ‘Collective’, it’s also been winning smaller awards unexpectedly such as the EDDIE for Best Edited Documentary. I don’t know what it is about ‘My Octopus Teacher’ that the awards ceremonies connect with so well, but there is clearly something as it is sweeping and I can’t see it stopping at the Oscars.
‘Time’ is definitely the runner up. It actually makes me quite sad that it probable won’t be winning at this stage. It was the critics darling in terms of documentaries, winning at the critic groups; NYFCC, LAFCA, NSFC and NBR, and this is a really good combination for an Oscar win. It also has a very prevalent message about racial injustice in the US and how the police abuse people of colour. I’d say ‘My Octopus Teacher’ is a very good documentary but it’s a shame that the documentary that is more relevant and has more of a chance to be remembered in history probably won’t win.