We are in the midst of Awards Season, and everything from now to the upcoming Oscars can shape how this year’s awards are going to play out. Jacob and Ricky already gave their Instant Reactions to the Golden Globes here, and now shift their focus to the Screen Actors Guild, or SAG, nominations.
According to the SAG Website, the awards are picked by a committee of up to 2500 active members of the Screen Actors Guild. These members are chosen at random at the start of each year.
On to the nominees…
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Nominees: Bombshell, The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood, Parasite
- Jacob: Knives Out
- Ricky: Knives Out
- Jacob: Bombshell and Parasite
- Ricky: Bombshell
- Jacob: Parasite
- Ricky: Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
- Jacob: Parasite was a bit of a surprise, but the big surprise was Bombshell getting in. This film opened up with low critics score (63% as of now) but did manage to get all three actresses into the race. Knives Out was the biggest snub here, and its Best Picture chances might have taken a hit. Parasite will win because I don’t think it would have gotten in unless it was going to win.
- Ricky: Knives Out has been getting some real strong talk lately, so I fully expected to see this to be nominated. Marriage Story getting left out was a bit of a shock especially with the 3 Actor nominations. I love seeing Parasite in this, this film deserves it all.
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Nominees: Cynthia Erivo, Scarlett Johannson, Lupita Nyong’o, Charlize Theron, Renee Zellweger
- Jacob: Saoirse Ronan
- Ricky: Saoirse Ronan
- Jacob: Lupita Nyong’o
- Ricky: None
- Jacob: Lupita Nyong’o
- Ricky: Charlize Theron
- Jacob: Lupita getting into this was huge for her Oscar chances. However, it was a shame not seeing Awkwafina, or especially Saoirse Ronan. I did not like Harriet, and I thought Erivo’s performance was just fine at best, but it looks like she is here to stay in the Awards Race. I am all in on Lupita taking this one home though, as I think she gave the best acted female performance of the entire year.
- Ricky: Lupita needed this. I am so glad after her Globes snub that we are talking about her today. She gave one of the best performances of the year and deserves to be recognized for it. Ronan being left out was weird because I felt this was a home-run for her but I am not too upset because the five are all good here.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Nominees: Christian Bale, Leonardo DiCaprio, Adam Driver, Taron Egerton, Joaquin Phoenix
- Jacob: Adam “the Sandman” Sandler
- Ricky: None.
- Jacob: TARON “THE ROCKETMAN” EGERTON
- Ricky: Taron Egerton
- Jacob: joaquin phoenix
- Ricky: Joaquin Phoenix
- Jacob: I always presumed Uncut Gems and Adam Sandler would be a critical award only situation, and it seems as though I was right. Sucks he likely won’t get passed that, but I hope this does not deter him from future dramatic work. Bale is in again, but the big surprise is Taron Egerton has shot his name back into the Oscar Race, and deservedly so. Joaquin will win this likely… but I hope Adam Driver does.
- Ricky: Bale is getting a lot of love which is shocking since I felt Damon was the MVP of the film. Phoenix should/will win period. End of story.
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Nominees: Laura Dern, Scarlett Johannson, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lopez, Margot Robbie
- Jacob: Zhao Shuzhen
- Ricky: Florence Pugh – Little Women
- Jacob: Nicole Kidman
- Ricky: Nicole Kidman
- Jacob: Laura Dern
- Ricky: Jennifer Lopez
- Jacob: The big surprise here was Nicole Kidman for Bombshell, but upon hearing that Bombshell made it in the best picture… it makes sense. It seems as though Zhao Shuzhen’s chances are slowing down which is a shame because Nai Nai deserves better. Laura Dern will win like she has won everything else.
- Ricky: Nicole Kidman was a shocker but as Jacob said when it got ensemble, it made sense. I am picking Lopez with Dern getting the Oscar. Pugh being snubbed is dumb.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Nominees: Jamie Foxx, Tom Hanks, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Brad Pitt
- Jacob: Shia LaBeouf or Willem Dafoe
- Ricky: Shia LaBeouf or Willem Dafoe
- Jacob: Jamie Foxx
- Ricky: Jamie Foxx
- Jacob: Brad Pitt
- Ricky: Brad Pitt
- Jacob: Jamie Foxx getting in was big for his chances as someone who has received no love thus far. It seems like Shia is done which is absolutely devastating because he SHOULD win. The trio of Pacino, Pesci, and Pitt are like three P’s in an Awards pod this year, but Pitt will come out on top as he should.
- Ricky: Pitt is on his way to winning it all, deservedly so.
Winners announced LIVE on TBS or TNT January 19, 2020
Jacob is a film critic and co-founder of the Music City Drive-In. He is a member of the Music City Film Critics’ Association and specializes in the awards season. You can find him on Twitter @Tberry57.