Week 2 of SEC Football is among us, so it is time for me to give my top players to watch in the SEC.
I will be picking one offensive, one defensive, and one wildcard player (can be offense, defense, or special teams), as well as some honorable mentions, who I think, will either stand out or be someone worth keeping an eye on for the upcoming week.
Offensive Player to Watch
- K.J. Costello – Mississippi St.
- After throwing for a monstrous 623 yards and 5 TDs, MSU is able to get a bit of a breather against a much worse Arkansas team. The question will be whether Mike Leach will keep his foot on the gas, or let up some. I don’t think Costello will be asked to do quite what he had to last week, but I still expect him to have a huge game.
Defensive Player to Watch
- Keidron Smith – Ole Miss
- Smith had a big game against Florida racking up 12 tackles and one pass defense. Kentucky looked lackluster offensively in the game vs Auburn turning it over multiple times. Look for Ole Miss to try to take advantage of those turnovers to swing this in their favor to try to give Lane Kiffin his first win as the Ole Miss head coach.
Wildcard Player to Watch
- Isiah Spiller – Texas A&M
- On only 8 carries last weekend, Spiller managed to rack up 117 yards. Many were wondering why someone who is averaging almost 15 yards a carry, including a 57 yard run, only got the ball 8 times. In a pivotal and tough matchup vs Alabama, look for Spiller to get more of the workload as the Aggies try to play upset.
- Seth Williams – Auburn
- If Williams wants to solidify himself as one of the top WR in college football, he needs to show it vs Georgia. I think he could be a difference maker in whether the Tigers come out of Athens with a win or a loss.
Jacob is a film critic and co-founder of the Music City Drive-In. He is a member of the Music City Film Critics’ Association and specializes in the awards season. You can find him on Twitter @Tberry57.