We have some huge breaking news to share with all of you from our friends over at Roku. The Russo Brothers are producing a brand new show for the platform and we have all the details for you below.
Brand New Roku Original “Slugfest,” Executive Produced by the Russo Brothers, to Debut Exclusively on The Roku Channel
Narrated by Kevin Smith, ten-part docu-series unpacks the untold history of the Marvel and DC Comics rivalry, will premiere on December 24, 2021
· Roku® will premiere the never-before-seen Roku Original docu-series “Slugfest” on December 24, 2021.
· “Slugfest” is a 10-part series exploring the decades-long relationship and rivalry between Marvel and DC Comics. Each episode dives into the unique story from the companies rich and intermingled history that’s created a world-wide superhero phenomenon.
· “Slugfest” is executive produced by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo. Kevin Smith narrates the series. Don Argott and Sheena M. Joyce served as directors. Producers include Todd Makurath, Peter Rieveschl, Nick Gilhool and Jen Casey. The series was created in partnership with AGBO.
· Since launching in May, Roku Originals has been an important audience driver for The Roku Channel. From award-winning scripted entertainment and engaging documentaries to new breakout unscripted series, Roku Originals gives viewers free access to bold, fresh entertainment from the biggest names in Hollywood. In the next 24 months, The Roku Channel is expected to premiere 50 new original programs.
· Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, Creators, Slugfest: “Audiences will leave “Slugfest” with a whole new of understanding of how the rivalry between two creative powerhouses shaped the iconic storylines and characters that fans around the world have come to know and love. We’re thrilled to partner with The Roku Channel to unpack the fascinating, but untold, history behind the most well-known competition in comics.”
· Don Argott, Director, “Slugfest,” said, “We wanted to tell the story of the creative competition that to this day continues to captivate fans across generations.”
Sheena Joyce, Director, “Slugfest,” added, “It was incredible to work with the Russo Brothers to bring this project to life and we’re excited to share this series with audiences on The Roku Channel.”
· Roku’s Head of Alternative Originals, Brian Tannenbaum: “After watching “Slugfest,” even the most die-hard superhero fans will gain a newfound perspective on how one competitive relationship shaped fandom culture into what it is today. Collaborating with the Russo Brothers to tell the backstory behind one of the most epic creative battles in the history of Hollywood was an incredible experience and we can’t wait to share this story with audiences on The Roku Channel.”
· The Roku Channel is the exclusive home of Roku Originals. Launched in 2017, The Roku Channel is the home of free and premium entertainment on the Roku platform. This year, The Roku Channel saw record growth, reaching U.S. households with an estimated 70 million people in Q1 2021. In Q3, The Roku Channel was a top five channel on the Roku platform in the U.S. by active account reach.
· Today, The Roku Channel features a diverse lineup of more than 80,000 free movies and programs and 200+ free live linear television channels. It licenses and distributes content from more than 200 partners. In addition to Roku devices, The Roku Channel is available on Web, iOS and Android devices, Amazon Fire TV and select Samsung TVs and can be accessed internationally in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K.